Accident At Work Claims
An accident at work can turn your whole life upside down. Not only are you dealing with an injury, but you may be worrying about the impact it’s going to have on everything from your family life to your finances. You may be upset that you’re suffering as a result of something that wasn’t your fault.
TRUE Solicitors have over 20 years experience obtaining compensation compensation for clients who have suffered injuries due to an accident at work. Our expert personal injury solicitors will fight to recoup your loss of earnings, medical expenses and care costs to get your life back on track.
Contact us today for a free, initial assessment of your accident at work claim. Submit your details below or call us on 0344 854 7000. A member of our expert personal injury team will call you back to discuss your claim, at a time that is convenient for you. TRUE Solicitors operate on a No Win, No Fee basis.
What responsibilities does my employer have?
In order to comply with extensive health and safety regulations, an employer has a legal duty to:
- Provide you with a safe workplace
- Provide you with adequate training
- Provide you with safe ways of working
- Provide you with safe equipment
- Provide you with proper safety clothing
If your employer has failed to meet these responsibilities and that led to you suffering an injury at work, you will be entitled to compensation for those injuries and any financial losses, such as lost earnings.
We understand that you may be reluctant to bring a claim against your employer. Rest assured any claim would be dealt with by your employer’s insurers. Insurance for accidents suffered by their staff is compulsory for your employer, no matter how small their business or how few staff they employ. Plus, your employer cannot treat you any differently, nor can they dismiss you, as a result of making an accident at work claim. Your claim will help highlight a safety issue, which will help protect your co-workers from being injured in the same way.
What classes as an ‘accident at work’?
An accident at work is any physical injury caused as a result of a work-based activity. So if your injury was caused by a work process or the equipment supplied by your workplace, your injury would be classed as an ‘accident at work’.
Some examples of such accidents include:
- Slips, trips, and falls caused by wet or uneven floors, loose cables, or faulty equipment.
- Manual handling injuries, such as injuries caused by lifting heavy items without being given proper training or lifting aids.
- Injuries caused by a lack of proper training, faulty equipment, or a work colleague’s actions.
- Cuts and lacerations.
- Burns from fire or chemicals.
- Electric shocks.
What should I do if I have an accident at work?
- Make sure you see your doctor as soon as you can. The priority here is your recovery and making sure your injuries are tended to. It will be reassuring for you to discuss your injuries with a doctor, and importantly the doctor will note the accident and your injuries in your medical records.
- Report the accident to your employer. Make sure that the details of your accident are accurately recorded in your employer’s accident book. If there is no accident book, write down what happened and give it to your employer. Keep a copy for yourself too.
- Get the names and contact details of any witnesses.
If possible, take photos of the scene of the accident. This can be very helpful if you wish to pursue a claim and your employer doesn’t admit liability.
How much will my claim be worth?
The amount of compensation that you may receive is calculated based on the individual circumstances of your accident. Those injured in an accident at work can typically claim for:
- Loss of earnings.
- Injury compensation.
- Medical expenses such as physiotherapy fees, prescription charges, painkillers etc.
- Compensation for the care and support provided for free by family or friends.
- Property damage i.e. costs to recover damage caused to clothing, jewellery, bags, mobile phone etc. which was on your person at the time of the accident.
Your compensation will be calculated using the evidence that we gather. The amount will depend on factors such as:
- The severity of your injury
- How your life has been affected by the injury or illness
- Your future care and support needs
- Financial losses, including how much money you’ve lost or will lose resulting from the accident (e.g. loss of earnings, travel expenses)
- Specialist equipment and adaptations you may need
To get an idea of the compensation that you could receive for any physical injuries that you have suffered please use our compensation calculator.
How much will it cost to make a claim?
TRUE Solicitors will manage your claim on a ‘No win, No fee’ basis, so there is no financial risk to you. Our charges to you are dependent upon the individual type of case, and are typically a percentage of the compensation amount that we obtain for you. The charges will be no more than 25% of your compensation.
Is there a time limit for me to make a claim?
You have up to 3 years from the date of the accident to lodge a claim with the court, and while we completely understand that you may not wish to start a claim straight away, the sooner the claim is made the better. Focusing on getting better is your ultimate priority, but it is also important to make a claim as soon as possible while the evidence and the memories of you and your witnesses are fresh. Of course, if your accident was some time ago then do not worry, as long as it is within the 3-year time limit a claim may still be possible.
When you’re ready, our experts will be here to help advise and guide you through the claims process. We will carry out a free, no obligation initial assessment so that you know exactly what your options are. You can then choose whether or not to begin the claims process.
If you would like to speak to one of our expert work accident solicitors for advice, an initial assessment, or simply to have any questions regarding the accident at work claims process answered, our contact details are:
Telephone: 0344 854 7000
Alternatively, we have a contact form here on our website. After filling that out, we’ll get in touch with you to discuss any queries you might have.
I want to make a claim. Where do I start?
You’ve come to the right place. Simply call us or complete the enquiry form on our website. Our ‘No Win, No Fee’ service gives our clients peace of mind.
Step one: We submit your claim – we will establish who was at fault and submit a claim on your behalf.
Step two: We gather the evidence – we will collect all of the evidence needed to prove your claim, arrange a medical examination for you, and, if appropriate, arrange treatment to assist with your recovery.
Step three: You win your claim – we will fight hard on your behalf to recover maximum compensation in the shortest time. We’ll focus on the claim and the legal matters, so you can focus on recuperating.
How long will my claim take?
The length of accident at work claims depend on whether the other party admits fault, the severity of the injury, and the extent of the claim for losses and expenses. Straightforward accident at work claims may settle within a few months, whereas complex cases may take in excess of a year. No matter how long it takes, TRUE Solicitors will be by your side throughout. Our goal is to win the maximum amount of compensation for you, in the shortest possible time.Get in Touch