New Enquiries 0344 854 7000
Existing Enquiries 0191 232 1123
Conveyancing 0191 260 6571
New Enquiries 0344 854 7000
Existing Enquiries 0191 232 1123
Conveyancing 0191 260 6571
New Enquiries 0344 854 7000
Existing Enquiries 0191 232 1123
Conveyancing 0191 260 6571

Start your FREE Enquiry

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Uninsured Driver Claims

If the driver of the vehicle that caused your injuries was uninsured or left the scene of the accident without giving their details, you may still be able to make a road traffic accident claim.

Can I make a claim against an uninsured driver?

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) was established for the sole purpose of ensuring that the innocent victims of road accidents are compensated if they are involved in a collision with a negligent uninsured or untraceable driver.

A claim against the MIB is similar to a claim against the insurance company of an insured driver in that compensation will only be paid where the other driver was at fault for the accident and, only then, where your injuries and losses are supported by evidence.

The main difference with claims against the MIB is that in order to receive compensation you must comply strictly with the MIB’s rules. For example, the MIB can refuse to pay you compensation if you have not reported the accident to the police.  After an accident the other driver must give you their insurance details by law. If they refuse, or say they are uninsured, you must report it to the police and get a crime reference number to support your road traffic accident claim.

How do I report an accident involving an uninsured driver?

You must also report the accident to the police, within 24 hours, when the other driver is untraced, either because it was a ‘hit and run’ accident, or because the other driver provided false information e.g. wrong address, incorrect insurance details. Failure to do so will jeopardise your claim.

How long will my claim take?

Claims against the MIB can be complex and generally take longer than claims against an insurance company. The MIB won’t pay any compensation until they have thoroughly investigated your claim and this can include obtaining a statement from the uninsured driver, and obtaining a police report. Furthermore, if court proceedings are necessary the correct procedure must be followed otherwise your claim could be rejected.

Why should I use a lawyer to pursue my claim?

TRUE Solicitors LLP has a department that specialises in handling road traffic accident claims against the MIB. We will help to take the stress out of the claims process giving you the best advice and access to damage repairs, medical treatment and financial compensation.

For a free, no obligation initial assessment of your personal injury claim contact us now on 0344 854 7000. Alternatively, you can email us at

Our ‘No Win, No Fee’ service gives our clients peace of mind.

Start my claim

Future Career Opportunities

  • Max. file size: 750 MB.
  • Accredited Member of the Credit Hire Organisation
  • Law Society Conveyancing Quality Scheme Accreditation
  • Brain Injury Association
  • Mass
  • The Legal 500 - The Clients Guide to Law Firms