Surgery is often a daunting prospect. In many cases you are putting your life into someone else’s hands. Most patients that undergo surgery, receive fantastic care and a positive outcome. Sadly, this is not always the case. If you have experienced a surgical mistake – which has left you facing further medical complications, (within the last three years) you may be entitled to claim compensation.
Call us on 0344 854 7000 to discuss your claim or fill in our online enquiry form below and we will get back to you at a time best suited for you.
What is classed as surgical negligence?
Mistakes can be made by a surgeon or medical professional, during surgery, which leave the patient with further health issues or injuries. TRUE Solicitors can help you make a general & emergency surgery compensation claim if, amongst other things, the surgeon:
- Left a foreign object, such as a medical instrument, in your body.
- Caused you to develop an infection due to poor hygiene standards.
- Operated on the wrong body part.
- Performed the incorrect operation.
- Caused injury or nerve damage to your organs.
- Failed to perform the appropriate checks to clarify if you were suitable for the surgery.
- Administered too much or too little anaesthetic.
What can I claim compensation for if I have suffered from surgical negligence?
You may be able to claim for the following:
- Loss of earnings.
- Injury compensation.
- Medical expenses such as rehabilitation fees, prescription charges, painkillers.
- Compensation for the care and support provided by family or friends.
- Reduced life expectancy.
- Ongoing illness.
- Recovery time.
- Expected lifestyle changes.
How much will my negligent surgery claim be worth?
The amount of compensation that you may receive is dependent upon the individual circumstances of your case. The amount will depend on factors such as:
- The severity of your injuries or further health complications caused by the negligent surgery.
- How your life has been affected by the injury or illness.
- Your future care and support needs.
- Financial losses, including how much money you’ve lost or will lose resulting from the negligent surgery (e.g. loss of earnings, travel expenses).
- Specialist equipment and adaptations that you may need.
Use our medical negligence compensation calculator to work out how much you could expect to get for your physical injuries:
Is there a time limit for making a general & emergency surgery compensation claim?
You have up to three years from the date you became aware that your injury or further illness was caused by negligent treatment, to make a claim. It is advisable to seek legal advice as soon as possible, whilst the information and circumstances around the treatment are fresh to mind.
You are able to make a claim on a child’s behalf at any time after the surgery has occurred, before the child reaches the age of 18. After the child has turned 18 they have until they are 21 to make a claim themselves.
If you would like to pursue a claim on behalf of a loved one who has sadly passed away and negligent treatment contributed towards their death, you can make a claim within three years of that date.
How long will my claim take?
The length of medical negligence claims depends on whether the other party admits fault, the severity of the injury and the extent of the claim for losses and expenses. Straightforward medical negligence claims may settle within a few months, whereas complex cases may take in excess of a year.
How do I start a surgery compensation claim?
If you believe that you or a loved one has a claim for surgical negligence, contact TRUE Solicitors today to speak to a member of our First Response team. We offer an initial free, no obligation assessment of your case.
TRUE Client Stories
Submit Your claim – we will establish who was at fault and submit a claim on your behalf.
Gather the Evidence and Arrange Treatment – we will collect all of the evidence needed to prove your claim, arrange a medical examination for you, and if appropriate arrange treatment to assist with your recovery.
Win Your Claim – we will fight hard on your behalf to recover maximum compensation in the shortest time.