Should I Buy A Dash Cam?
26 October 2020
What is a dashcam?
A dash cam is a small camera that is mounted to the dashboard or windscreen of your vehicle. Cyclists can also use bike cameras which are attached to their helmet.
Dash cams are automatically switched on when you start driving or pedalling and are used to record your full journey.
There are three different types of dash cam:
- Front View: This is a dash cam that only captures what is happening to the front of your vehicle.
- Front and Rear View: These are dash cams that record the front and back views from the vehicle. As a great deal of road accidents involve rear-end collisions it is advisable to invest in a front and rear view dash cam.
- Cabin View: These are mainly used by taxi drivers to provide a bird’s eye view of what is happening inside the car.
What are the benefits of fitting a dash cam?
There are many benefits to fitting a dash cam to your vehicle including:
- Dash cam footage can be used as vital evidence if you are involved in a collision with another road user.
- Dash cams are fitted with GPS so if you break down the emergency services can find you via the tracking signal.
- It could reduce the cost of your car insurance premiums, as a lot of insurance providers will offer a discount to customers who have a dash cam fitted to their vehicle. This can be anything from a 10 to 20% annual saving.
- Make you a better driver. A Lot of people feel more confident and alert behind the wheel when they have a dash cam installed.
What are the rules around fitting a dash cam?
You not require a license to fit a dash cam to your vehicle, however if you are a taxi driver or share a company car you have a legal duty to let your passengers know that the vehicle is fitted with a cabin view dash cam. If you don’t you could be found to be in breach of privacy laws.
You must also ensure that the dash cam is fitted in such a way that it doesn’t obstruct your view, as if you are involved in a collision and it can be proven that your dash cam obscured your view of the road you could be blamed for causing the accident.
True Solicitors are experts in obtaining compensation for road users who have been injured in a car accident, motorbike or cycling collision. We operate on a No Win, No Fee basis and are committed to achieving maximum compensation in the shortest time possible.
If you have been injured in a road traffic accident within the last 3 years speak to us today. Call us on 0344 854 7000 or submit an online enquiry below: