True Cycle Assist
According to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents almost 18,000 cyclists were injured in road accidents in 2018, however with many cycle accidents going unreported, the actual figure is more likely to be in excess of 25,000.
Many of these accidents are caused by the careless or negligent driving of other road users, or by the poor condition of the road, and often result in painful injuries and damaged bikes that are costly to replace or repair.
Sadly, cyclists face an uphill battle to get compensation. Cycle claims are generally more complex and are often contested, and because very few cyclists have legal expense insurance, they either represent themselves against insurer-backed defendants, or pay for legal representation out of their own pocket.
Who is True Cycle Assist?
TRUE Cycle Assist is here to support ALL cyclists when things go wrong by providing a first class legal service, coupled with free legal expenses insurance, to help cyclists recover compensation. Working in conjunction with cycle retailers this unique service not only ensures your customers return to you after an accident for cycle repairs or a replacement bike but will, once established, drive new customers to your shop.
You will also generate an income from the scheme because TRUE Cycle Assist will instruct and pay you to examine and assess the damage your customers’ bikes.
How does the True Cycle Assist referral scheme work?
1. We will provide you with a batch of ‘Knocked off Your bike?’ cards to distribute to your customers. Each card has a unique ‘claim code’ that has been allocated to your shop.
2. If a customer contacts us after an accident quoting a ‘Knocked off Your Bike’ claim code we will know they received the card from your business.
3. If the claim passes our vetting criteria we will notify you immediately by email about the accident and instruct you to examine the damaged bike, for the purpose of assessing whether it is repairable or a total loss. Our instruction will include the customers contact details so you can arrange a convenient time to examine the damaged bike.
4. We will provide you with a bike damage report template, a copy of which is enclosed, to complete and return. You will also be also required to provide photographs of the bike and the accident damage.
5. We will pay you £50 plus VAT within 7 days of receiving your bike damage report and your invoice.
6. The report should also list any other items of damage e.g. cycle clothes, bike computer etc. and provide the approximate replacement cost.
7. We will send the bike damage report to the other motorists insurance company and claim the cost of repairing or replacing the damaged bike and accessories.
8. We will notify you when the claim settles and whilst we cannot guarantee your customer will return to you for the bike repairs or for a replacement bike, we will do everything we can to ensure that they do.
How to become part of our referral scheme?
If you own or manage a cycling repair shop or cycling club and would like to be part of our referral scheme please contact Paul Drabble via email or call our Leeds office on 0113 386 2600.
Download the Terms and Conditions here.