Start your FREE Enquiry
Awaab Ishak: Heartbreak caused by housing disrepair
21 November 2022
Last week (November 2022) the results of an inquest into the distressing death of 2 year old Awaab Ishak was published and widely spread by the news. The coroner concluded that the toddler died from a respiratory condition, directly caused by exposure to mould in his own home – an issue that was repeatedly reported by his parents to Rochdale Boroughwide Housing (RBH).
Mould, a common issue found in ‘Housing Disrepair‘ claims, is caused by too much moisture in a building. The mould gives off potentially harmful spores which can cause a variety of health issues, especially to young children, older people and those with asthma or other allergies.
Awaab’s father first reported mould in their one-bedroom flat in Rochdale in 2017 and was told to ‘paint over it’. Awaab was born a year later in 2018, and prior to his death in 2020, had a history of breathing difficulties including a blocked nose, coughs and colds. During this time, Awaab’s father sent several emails with photos showing the mould, to the housing association.
Although RBH rectified other issues in their home, including a leak in a bedroom, they never addressed the mould issue that was present throughout the flat. On 19th December 2020, Awaab was rushed to hospital after struggling to breath, however was later discharged. He deteriorated the next day and returned to the hospital. He died on 21st December following a cardiac arrest.
Sadly, this isn’t an isolated case, housing disrepair within council houses and housing association homes is becoming increasingly common. Tenants up and down the country are being ignored and having to live in unacceptable conditions.
What can we do to help you?
If you or someone you know is living in poor conditions and is being ignored by the council or housing association, speak to TRUE today. Our team of highly experienced & reliable Housing Disrepair solicitors will investigate your claim, No Win, No Fee. We will do everything we can to get the issues in your home rectified:
Free phone: 0344 854 7000 | Online: Contact Form
Source: BBC News
Start your FREE enquiry today!